Each quarter, leaders from The Connection schools come together to share insights, challenge thinking, and create shared understanding of successful approaches to leading schools.
The gatherings are opportunities for leaders to share the depth, breadth, progress and outcomes of their work and to be inspired and informed through engagement with a network of stakeholders across schools, systems and states. They are also designed to expose the education sector to unique thinking frameworks and experiences, including those drawn from medicine and business and technology, in order to encourage unique and innovative action. The Thought Leadership Gatherings are valued as excellent opportunities for networking and learning by the school leaders.
The Thought Leadership meetings and the intellectual capital that comes with them are seen as very valuable among the principals, and they provide new ideas for principals to bring back to their schools and share with staff. Many principals had other staff attend these meetings where possible so others could share in the experience.
– ACER 2014 Report page 14
Thought Leadership Gatherings are designed to expose the education sector to unique thinking frameworks and experiences, including those drawn from medicine and business and technology, in order to encourage unique and innovative action. They centre on four identified themes of leadership, partnership, innovation and resources, and address questions such as:
- What does it mean to be a leader of education transformation in the Australian education landscape?
- What are the strategic purposes, challenges and opportunities of partnerships between schools and other organisations?
- How do we scale and diffuse great practice?
- How do we build sustainability of great practice?
- How can we use data and information to get clear on our outcomes and impact?
By giving them the opportunity to share and to learn with other schools, they have raised the capacity of the teachers.
– Principal, Powerhouse School
This was hands down the best professional development opportunity I have ever been a part of. I learnt so much and was so excited and motivated.
– School Leader
Thank you so much for the opportunity to network with truly inspirational leaders, to share and to have deep discussions around student learning.
– School Leader
The gatherings are valued as excellent opportunities for networking and learning by the school leaders. Leaders from various sectors have featured in provocation sessions and workshops, including:
- Dr Peter Goss, School Education Program Director at Grattan Institute, led a provocation session with the school leaders on Targeted Teaching
- Guest speakers from Atlassian, an enterprise at the leading edge of innovation, directed educators in a Design Thinking workshop to create a design thinking frameworks for use in educational contexts.
- George Stavrakakis, Director of Education at Microsoft Australia, led the school leaders in a conversation on the role of leadership in enabling and assessing impact
- Dr Frank Oberklaid, Founding Director of the Centre for Community Child Health at The University of Melbourne, who challenged the school leaders to consider the scope of their work in schools, and to look at community partnerships as critical to enabling holistic interventions for students
- Lawrence Goldstone from PwC The Difference, and Gail and Matt Taylor, international experts in Design Thinking, who offered a range of frameworks for school leaders to think about and drive change and innovation in their contexts
- Kevan Collins, CEO of the Education Endowment Foundation in the UK, who offered a provocation on spreading the use of evidence in education to catalyse evidence informed teaching and learning
- Dr Ben Jensen, CEO of Learning First, who catalysed an comprehensive exploration on allocating resources towards effective teaching
View this video for an insight into our Thought Leadership Gathering on innovation and design thinking in education.
Read the article featured on Education HQ on the Thought Leadership Gatherings