Social Impact Investment Trust
Social Ventures Australia has partnered with HESTA to establish one of Australia’s largest impact investing funds. After committing an initial $30 million which has been deployed towards investments that generate both a measurable social impact and a market-based financial return, HESTA has reaffirmed its commitment to growing the Australian impact investment market by allocating a further $40 million to SVA.
SVA is the investment manager of the Social Impact Investment Trust (SIIT), a fund with the purpose of allowing HESTA to make direct and indirect social impact investments utilising the skill, experience and assistance of SVA. The SIIT was launched in 2015 with an initial commitment of $30 million, making it at the time one of Australia’s largest dedicated impact investment funds.
Investments will continue to be made across a range of social enterprises, businesses and projects which have a specific focus on delivering both sound financial returns and a demonstrable social impact in sectors such as health, housing and community services. The fund makes loans and equity investments and also invests in Social Impact Bonds.
The Fund is not intended to replace government funding for social services, does not provide grant funding and is not a venture capital or angel fund.
Investment Characteristics and Criteria
SVA and HESTA are seeking to make investments in organisations and enterprises established in Australia and may include the following:
- senior and/or subordinated debt
- equity capital (including ordinary shares, convertible and/or redeemable preference shares, convertible notes and/or warrants); and
- Social Impact Bonds.
The target minimum investment size is $1 million, with the actual amount of individual investments to be determined on a case-by-case basis by SVA.
To be considered for investment the organisation or enterprise should have the following characteristics:
- be an established entity with proven revenue and a trading record
- have established governance and management structures
- be mission driven and work towards a demonstrable and direct social impact; and
- seek positive social change in a range of sectors including, but not limited to, education, employment, social and affordable housing, family and community connections, disability, health care, aged care, child care, social services and indigenous areas.
SVA and HESTA are currently seeking investment opportunities that meet the above characteristics. To apply for investment or loan capital from the fund, please contact SVA on firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 8004 6740. SVA will endeavour to respond to your enquiry within two business days.
If you do not meet the above criteria, please visit the SVA Diversified Impact Fund webpage which has different investment criteria and might be more applicable.
The Social Impact Investment Trust was established on 6 August 2015. As the Fund Manager, SVA will report annually on the performance of the Fund.
The SVA Social Impact Fund is a similar fund, which can be referred to for indicative track record.