SVA Bright Spots Schools Connection
The SVA Bright Spots Schools Connection supports exceptional school leaders in disadvantaged schools to improve the outcomes of their students.
In challenged communities, schools provide more than just a place of learning; they’re a source of stability. School leaders assume an important role in the lives of their students and communities. Great school leaders create the conditions that enable better education outcomes to be achieved and are shifting the dial of social disadvantage in Australia.
WHAT WE DO
The SVA Bright Spots Schools Connection (The Connection) empowers school leaders to advance their work and builds a network and community of exceptional educators. By supporting a coalition of Australia’s most talented school leaders, we will ensure that their work is developed and that the Australian education system is informed by their example. Based on these Bright Spots Schools, we are working towards ensuring every child in Australia has the same opportunities in life. Let’s learn from these Bright Spots and create a Bright System.
The Connection provides support to develop projects and actions that respond to the issues of education disadvantage in Australia’s most challenged communities.
- SVA’s vision is that all people living in Australia are able to find a pathway towards a fulfilling life of their choice.
- SVA wants socially disadvantaged children in Australia to have a better chance to thrive at school so they have increased opportunities in life.
- SVA’s work in Education is dedicated to building strategic capability within key players within the sector in order to spread Bright Spots of practice and achieve overall system change.
- Connecting, collaboration, community partnership, resource efficiencies, creating evidence and capacity building are at the core.
SVA founded The Connection in November 2013.
HOW WE DO IT
Star Hub Schools
The Connection partners with schools that are ready and primed for change, and supports them to access and understand the evidence on successful school improvement. These schools are assisted to move to action with strategic intent.
STEM Learning Hub
The Connection, supported by major corporate partner and technology partner Samsung, brings Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) expertise and support to schools in communities where those resources are most needed.
Thought Leadership Gatherings
These Connection events are conducted quarterly and include opportunities for school leaders to collectively share insights, challenge thinking, and be informed of successful approaches and practice.
WHAT WE ENVISION
The Connection is committed to sharing and spreading effective practices across Australian schools that will drive high quality learning in some of the most challenged school communities in Australia. The Connection seeks to support education systems across Australia to understand the conditions that deliver great education outcomes in disadvantaged contexts. These areas include:
- How strategic investments in disadvantaged schools can be leveraged to drive school improvement and student outcomes
- How school leaders benefit from autonomy and flexibility in allocating resources
- How community and corporate organisations can support and accelerate school improvement, and how partnerships with organisations such as SVA can have significant and sustainable impact on the school and its students
- How to establish the structures that encourage and enable schools to collaborate efficiently
The outcomes and lessons of The Connection are shared continually, both formally and informally, with systems and school leaders.
We want all students from disadvantaged communities to thrive at school and beyond. Quality school leaders play a central role in achieving this goal. The Connection is designed to both support school leaders and disseminate the knowledge of what works to build systemic education success.